Saturday, September 13, 2008

Visiting the Holocaust Memorial

On the way home from the farmer's market, we decided to walk through the Holocaust Memorial. It was such a sobering experience to see, I had to fight from crying. The memorial is 5 glass, walk-through cubes, that have the numbers that were tattooed on the people that were interned in the concentration camps etched on the glass that rises about 20 feet off the ground. Steam rises from the grates beneath the memorial.

They had a quote from Martin Niemoeller, a Lutheran Pastor who initially supported Hitler and then later opposed him and was put in a concentration camp.
The quote reads:
They came first for the communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time, there was no one left to speak up.

It made me think about how many times in our own lives do we choose not to speak up when an injustice is perpetrated because it doesn't pertain to us.

No comments: