Sunday, December 14, 2008

Our Fabulous Trip to NYC - Day #1

My whole life I have wanted to go to New York at Christmas time. I have watched all of the movies based there, I watch the Thanksgiving parade every year, I watch the ball drop on New Years Eve and see all the crowds and think Wow - I wish that was me! Well, this weekend, David made my wish come true! After attending our church Christmas brunch, we came straight back to the apartment and grabbed a change of clothes and headed out to the bus depot.

We found that you could take the Fung Wah Chinese bus from China Town in Boston to China Town in New York for $15 each way, per person. Since taking the train is $80 each way, per person; this is a great deal! We opted to spend more money on the hotel and get a great hotel in Times square and go cheaper on the transportation. It turned out great!

We arrived in NY at about 7pm Saturday night. It takes about 4 hours to get from Boston to New York. We learned that you have to be really aggressive to get a cab in NY, not at all like in Boston where they are lined up waiting to take you anywhere! It took us about 20 minutes to get a cab. If we were contestants in the Amazing Race, this would have been the perfect taxi driver!!! He drove crazy! He was passing all the other cars and taxi's. He would speed up, just to slam on his brakes when the light turned red. He was even yelling at the cops who had blocked some streets off! Fortunately we made it to the hotel in one piece! We dropped off our bags, put an extra layer of clothes on (it was 30 deg.) and headed out to see all of the lights and the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.


We stopped by the Hershey store in Times Square - Chocolate anyone???


I took a picture of the girls in time square. In the background, you can see where the ball drops on New Years Eve. Next year, I would love to come back here on New Years Eve!!!


Marissa took our picture in front of the Ed Sullivan Theater where the David Letterman show is filmed. David and I are going to make a trip back next spring without any kids to come see a couple of shows taped and take in a Broadway show.


As we walked around Time Square and the immediate area there were lights everywhere! We had to stop and get some hot cocoa to warm us up!


In front of one of the Hotels, there were large nut crackers in front of all of the pillars.


Radio City Music Hall - I wish that we had time to go to the Rockette's Christmas show.


There were amazing decorations everywhere we walked! I bought this crazy hat and scarf while we were in WA for Thanksgiving. It may look funny, but boy was I warm!



The Tree at Rockefeller Center!


These huge snowflakes cover the Saks 5th Avenue store and they flash to Christmas music that is played on loud speakers.


David took this picture to show a good view of Time Square and the sheer amount of people that were there with us!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So awesome, Deena!!! One of these years I'm going to make my husband take me to NYC to see a Broadway show.

The pictures are so fun, and your girls look SO happy! I'm glad that you are able to have this experience.

Merry Christmas!!!